Monday, November 23, 2009

Puberty and the Carpet Guy

I've laughed so hard telling this story a couple of times that I finally decided to post it.

#1's class was going to watch a video on puberty at school. We wanted to preview it first, but could never find time to do it together. So the day before permission slips were due, with Mike making preparations to go out of town that afternoon and with the carpet guy hard at work, I began the preview. I found myself right back in 6th grade squirming in my seat.

But that wasn't all I wanted to do when I looked over my shoulder to see the carpet guy noticing the diagram of male anatomy going through various stages. Could the desk swallow me up, please?

Of course, being me, I couldn't stand the idea that the carpet guy might leave thinking I had been watching something questionable (since he didn't see the rest and couldn't hear it over his work).

So, yes, I must admit, I brought it up with the carpet guy. Now, do you want to be swallowed by your desk imagining my conversation?? It went something like this.
Me: So, do you have kids, Al?
CG: Yes, three.
Me: How old?
CG tells ages.
Me: Oh, so you've already had to have the puberty discussion, huh?

Yes, this was my well-crafted intro to the conversation.
CG: Oh, yeah, I take the boys and my wife takes our daughter.
Me: Good! I'm off the hook!!
CG: Of course, there needs to be some cross over so that the kids know we feel the same way.
Me: Right. That's why I was prepping to talk with our oldest about the puberty video he's going to watch at school.

I'm not going to go through the whole thing, but suffice it to say we discussed the book he uses, some of the topics on the agenda, and the need for recaps. How do I do this to myself? Mike walked in partway through the discussion, and I have to say I was incredibly proud of his composure finding his wife discussing puberty with the carpet guy.

No comments: